Saturday, July 26, 2008

Meadow the Jersey

I bought a Jersey cow yesterday!! A heifer to be precise, but she is just about old enough to breed. Next step is trying to find a way to breed her to a Dexter bull. Dexters are a small dual purpose breed that I have had an interest in for years. (Dad is considering buying a few Dexters also. So we may be in the business yet.) I am going to breed my Jersey heifer to one so her first calf will be a small one.... to make it easy on her. Can't take any chances! It will likely be a few weeks before we go to Knoxville to pick her up so I'll post a picture when that time comes. I know Rachel will be looking forward to it :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm sure she is beautiful. I was actually talking to a lady at our farmers market on Saturday about you. She sells raw milk and butter there, and I told her how much trouble you seemed to be having finding a jersey cow or heifer. She gave me the number of a man in Saluda who she works with. She thought he might have some heifers, but Mom and Dad told me that afternoon that you had just bought one! Yes, you must post pictures.