Friday, June 03, 2005

Rapids, Smokes, and Striped Bass

This fine evening as the rain clouds opened up for a few hours, I went on a mission to find the notorious rapids of the Saluda River. As I had heard from a park security guard, one must park at the zoo and walk down to the river. So to the zoo, I went. I had no plan on how to find these rapids other than this. But these crazy kayakers make it pretty darn easy. All I had to do was park near all the SUV's that had kayaks strapped to the top. A group of 10 or so crazies stood around drinking. I was a snob and didnt talk to them. Wasnt really intersted in drunkards. From here I followed the sounds sound of rapids. Well, so I walked past a bunch more drunkards along the edge of the river and finally seemed to get away from them in some thickets and trashy woods. Here I found a nice big rock to sit on and listen to the sound of water and trains. The rapids were enormous..me would die if I set out in those. But they were fun to watch. Suddenly, interupting my deep thoughts, I thought I heard a voice..turned around i did..and the guy standing there didnt say "do you have a light" but instead "want a smoke?" Well of course I accepted....... just kidding. After abandoning this pothead, I came out into a little more open spot and sat down on another rock..as I sat there watching two black guys fish I saw they had a huge striped bass. So... of course, I had to go over and check it out and talk fishing with them. Robert and Tony were their names. They informed me that they come there every evening and, in fact, would be out there at 4 AM tomorrow morning. I dont think Ill make that somehow. But I did tell them I would try to make it out sometime to get some pointers from them. The fish was offered to me but cleaning it I did not feel like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like mine, your thoughts are phrased. Interesting, this change in sentence structure is. An excuse, I have. Until 900 years old you are, proper English you must speak!