Sunday, June 05, 2005

Shantyville

'Nother day of slackin on the water. Went out to Congaree Swamp National Park but it was flooded so high I decided it wasnt safe for a lone, blonde kayaker....might get lost. For you in Virginia this means the swamp wasnt just a swamp anymore it was a lake with tops of trees sticking out.
So instead of the swamp, me wents to the Congaree River. Found a boat landing and was about to get in the water. Stopped by a local me was. He told me of the good fishing spots on the lake. Also informed me I was in Shantyville due to all the shackboats on the lake.
Finally got on the water. Paddled as far away from the fishing boats as I could. On my way, I saw a beaver. I quietly paddled towards it but noticed it did not panic. As I approached I realized, this is no beaver!! It was an aligator! I was slightly nervous for a bit after that. Soon I was over it though and had a good ramble about the bald cypress. Oh, and just in case you ever need to know, tap an alligator on the snout or ears to make it back away. If attacked, go for the eyes and nose first. If it has your foot, tap it on the nose.

No comments: