Sunday, February 03, 2008

Still warm

Well I guess Appalachia is not the only place having a heating trend (although ours may be more long term..from the observations of the last 5 years or so). It is supposed to be 52 degrees here in Maine on Tuesday. No snow in the forecast. I suppose I need to embrace the warm climate and learn to sail or something. Oh wait maybe putting my kayak to use would be a good thing.

And while I am on the warming trend topic. I was thinking last night about air conditioning. I was recalling SW Virginia and NE Tennessee back 5-10 years ago and realized air conditioners where few and far between at that time. At the most people had a window unit in one room of the house. Now I would guess half the homes in the area have AC units. I'd say this is a pretty good indicator of how much warmer our summer months have been getting(of course this isn't a scientific study).

Well needless to say, Jeff and I are hoping the warming trend is over and the climate will be back to a hot summer day being 83 F(and a warm winter day being 43 F). One tropical summer is enough.

One other tidbit I was noticing while poring over seed catalogs. The planting zone we are in for SW Virginia(Zone 6) extends all the way up to northern New England. Interesting when we often think of ourselves of a southern area (can't say "state" because northern Virginia is definitely NOT southern culture). We actually have winters in the temperature range of New England(at least we did). Here in Maine is actually only a 10 degree average low temperature than SW Virginia.

No comments: