Thursday, February 14, 2008

Well I figured it about time I let everyone know what I have been up to lately. Since it is in the middle of the winter when I have nothing to do. ;)
My cold frames are coming together bit by bit whenever it is warm enough outside that I don't need gloves on. Yes, even with another crazy warm winter, trying to do some work without gloves can be miserable. I AM soaking in whatever coldness I can get though, because I know with as warm winter as we have had we are likely to get another hot summer too. Maybe not though....one can be hopeful.
I planted some cool season veggies in the coldframes today even though the glass is not all put in. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish glazing the glass and attach hinges.
One of our warmer days I cleaned up the cellar for my seedling room. Although the room is only about 5' by 7', I had nowhere else to start flats of seedlings so this will have to do. I think I'll be able to get in about 7 or 8 flats in my seedling room under 3 fluorescent shop lights. Hopefully the hot water heater will help keep the room above 55 degrees. So after I get the flats germinated in the living room next to the woodstove I can take them down to the cellar to continue growing. But I still don't know how this is going to work since I well now I will have more than 8 flats.
As for the winter days, I keep myself busy with planning and researching. My largest seed order ever is about to be placed. And this is after I already ordered 12 varieties from Harris seed and 8 or so flowering shrubs and trees from the Arbor Day Foundation. I'd better make some money soon!
500 gladiolus bulbs will be coming the end of March. Trees and shrubs coming any day. And seeding has already begun(you should see my dirty living room!!).
Not much been done on the house lately except small improvements. We both have had other more pressing matters so the house has had to wait in disarray. The tub still makes funny noises, the roof is getting more rust, the floorboards are falling in, the ceiling is not finished, and the doors leak like sieves but we keep on planning to take care of it soon. Such a great old house.

No comments: